Popular Posts

Caveat Emptor

The opinions expressed on this page are mine alone. Any similarities to the views of my employer are completely coincidental.

Thursday 5 November 2015

Gutted

My day has been utterly ruined. Those of you who have been paying attention will know that today is a very important day for British social science for it is the publication day of what Nicola Lacey, whose expertise is in criminal law and legal theory, has called "a magisterial new analysis of class" - Savage et al's Social Class in the 21st Century. Naturally I placed my advance order with Amazon so that I would receive this instant classic on the very day of its publication. Imagine my horror when I looked through my emails this morning and found this:

We regret to inform you that the following items have been delayed:

  Savage, Mike "Social Class in the 21st Century (Pelican Introduction)"
    Estimated arrival date: December 19 2015

I guess I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and wait until the Christmas vacation unless someone wants to send me a review copy.

Assuming that everyone is in the same boat you can get an inkling of the content from the audio of the launch event that took place last Monday.

The best part of the whole thing is around 1:03:15 when the red haired lady says in reply to a question about the policy conclusions of the book "...for me now really it's just end capitalism  [wild applause from the floor]." At least she says what she thinks without equivocation. Perhaps though she might appreciate the sentiment behind this.

1 comment:

Kolbeinn said...

My copy downloaded to my kindle today. Haven't gotten to the good stuff yet.