Popular Posts

Caveat Emptor

The opinions expressed on this page are mine alone. Any similarities to the views of my employer are completely coincidental.

Monday 9 November 2015

Gutted 2

I mentioned last week my deep disappointment when Amazon proved themselves not up to the job of delivering my copy of Social Class in the 21st Century on the day of publication. It's only fair to report that they did manage to get it to me on Saturday & knocked off the price of delivery so credit where credit is due. In the end I got it for £6.29 (RRP £8.99). 

I can barely restrain myself from reading it all at once, but sadly I have a few more important things to do this week so I'm not sure when I'll get around to it. I couldn't resist though flicking through it  and within 30 seconds managed to spot my first howler. Unfortunately I don't have a scanner in my office so a webcam picture will have to suffice. Turn to page 82 where you will find the words: "Figure 2.2 shows clearly how all the different components of economic capital have similar age profiles."

Here is the figure they are talking about:


Well, similarity is, I suppose, in the eye of the beholder, but forsooth, perhaps you'd like to have another go at that one guys.

Perhaps you'd also like to have a go at explaining why the average 16 year old in the GBCS has £50,000 worth of savings (especially generous rich uncles?) and more than £200,000 worth of property? (we know that the £40,000 in income isn't  pocket-money but the joint household income which mostly isn't theirs to dispose of). Could we, perhaps, be mixing up a few different processes that we really shouldn't be confounding (like moving out of the family home)?

Take that nonsense away and do you really think these profiles are similar? Honestly? You do? OK er..

Houston, we have a problem...

No comments: