Popular Posts

Caveat Emptor

The opinions expressed on this page are mine alone. Any similarities to the views of my employer are completely coincidental.

Tuesday 28 January 2014

Pete Seeger RIP

Difficult to think of anything to say that hasn't already been said and won't be said over and over in the next few days. We are all diminished by Pete Seeger's death. Though we've lost one, despite appearances to the contrary, there are still great Americans. Here's PS singing Guantanamera - the girl from Guantanamo and Joe Hill. And just for additional inspiration Woody singing This Land is Your Land. Unfortunately this verse seems to have been airbrushed from most recordings:

In the squares of the city, In the shadow of a steeple; 
By the relief office, I'd seen my people. 
As they stood there hungry, I stood there asking, 
Is this land made for you and me?

Another of Woody's songs  has the right message for our children - here performed by Syd Shaw. RIP Pete.

No comments: