Popular Posts

Caveat Emptor

The opinions expressed on this page are mine alone. Any similarities to the views of my employer are completely coincidental.

Tuesday 4 June 2013

Having the cojones to say it...

When you work in a discipline in which a  large proportion of the practitioners appear to believe in the value of things that are, to put it at its best, unhelpful, it is reassuring to find that there are voices in other disciplines who seem to be able to get things straight and have the balls to tell it the way they see it. 

One of the most dispiriting things I've seen over the last 20 years is the export of some of the worst parts of sociology to other disciplines - I'm thinking primarily of human geography, accountancy and information sciences, but there are probably other examples. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against borrowing good ideas, but much of what seems to be exported just seems to me to be wrong-headed.

I wasn't aware that archaeology was similarly infected, but it seems it is. At least there is somebody in that discipline prepared to stand up and say the Emperor has no clothes.

No comments: