Popular Posts

Caveat Emptor

The opinions expressed on this page are mine alone. Any similarities to the views of my employer are completely coincidental.

Monday 29 March 2010

The right to give offence

I've never read a word of Phillip Pullman's fiction, maybe I will when my daughter is older, but I admire his response to a christian antagonist at the Oxford Literary Festival last weekend. Nobody has the right not to be offended whether they be athiest, agnostic, christian, jew, muslim, hindu, sikh or whatever. If you think otherwise, then you don't understand what freedom of expression (under the law) means in a liberal society. Not gratuitously giving offence in everyday life is, of course, a matter of decency, good manners and prudence: but it is not a moral imperative.

No comments: